Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scratch Out London for Summer 2012

Coming to college, gaining freedom from my parents, and establishing myself somewhat independent led me to become more of an avid traveler. Growing up with a tour-enthusiastic mom, I vaguely remember getting dragged around on tight schedule to what was supposedly a "must-see" in England or Hawaii. I never saw the true value of going to unfamiliar places, nor appreciated the unique atmospheres. As my friends and I plan our upcoming spring break, summer, and even graduation trips abroad, I look forward to enlighten myself and everyone on the beauty of traveling as well as on the buzz about popular travel destinations.

In a recent article from Travel Daily News, the European Tour Operators Association (ETOA) predicted that London would have about 350,000 foreign visitors per day during the 2012 Olympics. From this, the first thing that comes to my mind is money. The ticket sales, inflow of tourists and high demand for restaurants and hotels would contribute to the overall boost in London’s economy.

This article provides a different perspective. The sudden influx of sports fans could potentially lead to a problem not only in London but also around the region. The perception that a host city is crowded discourages normal tourists to make the visit, dropping visitor numbers in surrounding regions as well. Normal attractions around the city experience a downturn since the Olympic tourists are not interested in “tourism” but sports.

We also have to note that London is one of the top destinations for international tourists and in August 2009 alone, the city attracted nearly 2 million tourists. Availability of hotels is restricted and this would cause prices to rise, creating a hostile environment for normal tourists and the locals. Especially, inbound tourism industry struggles to book hotel rooms during the Olympics.

It’s true. Normal tourists and vacationers expect to travel leisurely. Whether it’s a business visit, honeymoon, or a family vacation, no one appreciates traffic jams, dirty streets, overcrowded restaurants and high hotel prices. Unless you are a sports fanatic who enjoys such atmosphere, I would scratch out London on your potential travel list for summer 2012 .  

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! The beauty of travelling the world is to experience the culture and lifestyles of places that are different than your own. If a city is hosting a major event like that Olympics, your experience would be skewed by the influx of tourists and the changes made by the city to accommodate the mass of people entering the area. I would love to tour London, but not when my only interactions would be with other tourists and not the locals.

    ReplyDelete